Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Facebook etiqutte: to delete or not to delete?

Saw something on interesting on Ta-Nehisi Coates today:

So it became clear that I couldn't leave Facebook. (*shakes fist*) Still, is it wrong to delete friends? I'd actually like to use my Facebook to keep track of people I want to keep track of. It's nightmare sorting through people you don't know, while trying to find the ones you do. Would I be wrong to trim my Facebook friends back? Only people under 25 are allowed to answer this question. The rest of us are too old.

This is, of course, a moronic question in a lot of ways, but it's one I've thought about myself in the past year as the number of my facebook friends increase. Do I really have 225+ friends? Fuck no. I probably know 60-70 people, family and friends combined, that I would consider a crucial part of my life.

The rest: a collection of junior high, high school, college and other random people who I've seen under 5 times in the last 20 years. We're "friends" in the way Bill Ayers and Barack Obama were "friends." In other words I couldn't tell you if most of these people were in relationships or not or had once bombed the Pentagon or not. So like Ta-Nehisi, I'm thinking about getting rid of them. I'm just wondering if it'd hurt a lot of people's feelings...

(P.S. I realize that as a 29-year-old, I must sound ridiculous even considering this that closely, so it's OK, hate away, I deserve it )

No comments: