Monday, November 10, 2008

A's acquire Matt Holliday

I haven't had a whole lot of time to analyze this deal, but it looks like my team, the Oakland A's, have acquired Matt Holliday:

According to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, the A's have traded Carlos Gonzalez, Greg Smith, and Huston Street for Colorado left fielder Matt Holiday.

Just from a quick glance, this looks like a great deal for the A's. With the dearth of pitching prospects like Trevor Cahill and Brett Anderson coming up, Greg Smith was certainly expendable. Plus, while Carlos Gonzalez is certainly a good prospect, Matt Holiday is a proven major leaguer slugger, something the A's have not had in a long time.

In terms of the overall, long-term plan, I'm not sure what Billy Beane is thinking. But as an A's fan, I've learned a mantra that always helps me sleep better at night: always trust in Mr. Beane. He's just that much smarter than you are.

No comments: